In my research, I want to help computers understand the meaning of words and utterances, and perform operations that we, humans, perform with language such as logical inference and translation. I want to help them recognize that one cannot run and sleep at the same time; that cats are pets but so can be iguanas; that a great movie is one I would recommend to a friend, and this in different languages. My main research fields are Computational Linguistics and Natural Language Processing. I am interested in theoretical and application-oriented aspects of natural language semantics, and in cognitive aspects of language learning. I currently work as Senior Researcher in the Language Technology lab at the University of Helsinki, Department of Digital Humanities, on leave from the French CNRS. I hold an Adjunct appointment in the Computer and Information Science Department at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia (US). I am an Associate Researcher in the NLP group of the Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Check out our new EMNLP 2020 paper! With Aina Garí Soler.
- Senior Area Chair for Lexical Semantics at EACL 2021. Area Chair for Lexical Semantics at ACL-IJCNLP 2021, ACL 2020, EMNLP 2020, ACL 2019, EMNLP-IJCNLP 2019, for Multilinguality at *SEM 2019.
- Program Chair for the 9th Joint Conference on Lexical and Computational Semantics (*SEM 2020).
- I co-organize Deep Learning Inside Out (DeeLIO): The Second Workshop on Knowledge Extraction and Integration for Deep Learning Architectures with Eneko Agirre and Ivan Vulić at NAACL, June, 10 2021.
- 2016-2021: PI of the MULTISEM: Advanced models for multilingual semantic processing project funded by the French National Research Agency (ANR) Young Researcher Program (JCJC).
- Member of the SIGLEX (ACL Special Interest Group on the Lexicon) Advisory Board (2016—).